Dr. Anita Borg (1949-2003) devoted her adult life to revolutionising the way we think about technology and dismantling barriers that keep women and minorities from entering computing and technology fields. Her combination of technical expertise and fearless vision continues to inspire and motivate countless women to become active participants and leaders in creating technology. As part of Google’s ongoing commitment to furthering Anita’s vision, we are pleased to announce The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship: Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Through the scholarship, we aim to encourage women to excel in computing and technology, and become active role models and leaders. Multiple scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of candidates’ academic performance, leadership experience and demonstrated passion for computer science.
A group of female Bachelor’s, Master’s, and PhD student finalists will be chosen from the applicant pool. The scholarship recipients will each receive a €7,000 (or equivalent) scholarship.
In June 2010, all scholarship recipients and finalists will be invited to visit Google’s Engineering Centre in Zurich for a networking retreat. It will include workshops with a series of speakers, panels, breakout sessions and social activities, and will provide an opportunity for all finalists to meet and share their experiences.
Candidates must :
- Be a female student entering her final year of a Bachelor’s degree, or enrolled in an a Master’s or PhD programme (or equivalent), in 2010/2011.
- Be enrolled at a University in Europe, the Middle East, or Africa. Citizens, permanent residents, and international students are eligible to apply.
- Be studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics, or a closely related technical field.
- Maintain an excellent academic record (e.g. a First Class Honours degree).
How to apply
Please complete the online application and submit all requested documents by 1st February 2010. All application documents must be in English. All applications will be acknowledged by email. Finalists will be notified in April 2010. Scholarship recipients will be selected from the finalists.
You will be required to submit the following :
- Full name
- Email address
- Address, country, and phone number
- Degrees held, universities attended, and expected graduation date
- Up-to-date copy of your CV
- Answers to the following short essay questions (suggested word count is 400-600 words per question) :
- Describe a significant technical project you have worked on. If you have worked on a major independent research project (such as research for a Master’s or PhD programme), please describe that work here. Give an overview of the problem and your approaches to the key technical challenges. If this was a group effort, be sure to specify your individual role and contributions.
- Give one or two examples of your leadership abilities. Explain how you were influential and what you were trying to achieve. These need not be demonstrated through formal or traditional leadership roles. Feel free to think broadly and examine the many ways you impact members of your technical community.
- Suppose someone gave you the funding and resources for a 3- to 12-month project to investigate a technical topic of your choice. Write a short version of a proposal, including a description of the project, your planned methodology, and your expected results. Please pick something other than the project you described for the first question.
Bachelor’s: A copy of your current academic record.
Master’s and PhD: A copy of your previous and current academic records. (Note: You must include documentation explaining the grading criteria at your University.)
- Enrollment confirmation for 2010/2011 or confirmation of graduation date Please include with your application an official enrollment confirmation or a confirmation of your graduation date issued by an official authority of the university e.g. your departmental administrator or a professor.
- Recommendation letters Two strong referral letters from individuals who are qualified to evaluate your academic and leadership accomplishments. For specific questions not answered on this page or in the FAQ section, please e-mail email@example.com.
- The subject field of your email must include “Anita Borg Question”. We look forward to receiving your application!
For details visit The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Portal.
Malaysia Scholarship Search Terms:
- scholarship for master degree in malaysia