The Asian Development Bank (ADB) – Japan Scholarship Program (JSP) was established in April 1988 with financing from the Government of Japan.
Japan Scholarship Program
It aims to provide an opportunity for well-qualified citizens of ADB’s developing member countries to pursue postgraduate studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields at participating academic institutions in the Asian and Pacific Region.
Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries.
The ADB-JSP enrolls about 300 students annually in 20 academic institutions located in 10 countries within the Region.
The ADB-JSP provides full scholarships for one to two years.
Fields of Study
Programs covered by the ADB-JSP are postgraduate studies in:
- natural resource management
- science and technology
- other development-related fields
Only programs at the 20 participating academic institutions in the Asian and Pacific Regions are eligible for ADB-JSP funding.
- A national of an ADB borrowing member country (applicants from countries that are no longer borrowing from ADB are not eligible for the ADB-JSP Scholarship).
- Gained admission to an approved MA/PhD course at an academic institution .
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic record.
- At least two (2) years of full-time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application. Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
- In good health.
- Should agree to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Staff of academic institutions are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- ADB-JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- ADB-JSP does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects.
Value of Scholarship
The ADB-JSP provides:
- full tuition fees
- a monthly subsistence and housing allowance
- an allowance for books and instructional materials
- medical insurance
- travel expenses
- For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for thesis preparation.
- In special circumstances computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship.
How to Apply
Applications must be made through the relevant participating academic institution.
Send applications for scholarships at least six months prior to the planned time that you wish to commence studies.
For more information, please visit Asian Development Bank Portal.