Applications are now open to Malaysian citizens for the Merdeka Scholarships, tenable from October 2011. The scholarships are awarded to those wishing to undertake postgraduates degree at the University of Oxford.
Successful candidates are expected to be exceptional academic calibre and demonstrate characteristics of future national leaders in their respective fields. Candidates should also be able to show how their field of study would benefit Malaysia.
The scholarships will cover university and college fees, maintenance allowance and return air fares, and will be renewable annualy for the duration of the course.
Candidates, who must be citizens of Malaysia, should have an excellent record of academic achievement and a proven capacity for independent research. Attention will also be given to the personal qualities of the candidates in terms of their leadership potential and ability to communicate.
Candidates will be expected to show how their careers and the wider interests of Malaysia will benefit from a period of study at Oxford.
The fields of study covered by the Scholarship Programme include the following:
- Business: Economics, Finance, Investment, Law, Actuarial Science;
- Bio-medical Sciences: Bio-chemistry, Food Technology, Bio-technology, Bio-engineering, Molecular Biology, Genomics and Bio-informatics;
- Engineering: Electronics, Micro-Electronics, Nano-technology, Materials Science.
- Other fields may be considered.
How to Apply ?
To apply, applicants are required to submit the following:
- The completed application form (please click to download the application form);
- A signed personal statement of no more than 1,000 words that includes a description of the intended area of study and describes how this will benefit Malaysia. The statement should also outline the applicant’s reasons for wanting to study at Oxford, and summarise the personal qualities that would make them a worthy recipient of a scholarship;
- A list of academic qualifications and other awards and honours received;
- A statement of the status of their application to the University of Oxford;
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from referees who can assess in detail the applicant’s academic performance and potential. The recommendation letters must reach the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies by the application deadline.
The Academic Office
Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies
Oxford OX1 2AR, UK
Tel : 44 1865 278730
Fax : 44 1865 248942
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : www.oxcis.ac.uk/merdeka
The deadline for applications is 10 January 2010.