The Chevening scholarships are open to Malaysian citizens applying for post-graduate study at British institutions of higher education.
The scholarships cover:
- Academic fees (with the exception of business school programmes, where the fees element of the scholarships is capped at £12,000, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office will pay academic fees directly to the institution concerned on behalf of successful applicants). Candidates wishing to study a course with academic fees exceeding £12,000 per year should expect to part-fund their study.
- A monthly living allowance.
- A modest allowance to cover books, warm clothing & thesis.
- A return airfare to the UK.
- A gratis student visa.
The scholarships are only given for studies of up to one year’s duration. They are not applicable for PhDs, undergraduate studies or professional courses (e.g. ACCA, RIBA, ICSA, Bar Vocational courses etc). Scholarships are not awarded for studies outside the UK, for distance learning or for part-time studies.
Fields of study
We are looking for candidates in the following fields:
- Climate change
- Sustainable development
- Rule of law
- Human rights
- Conflict prevention/ resolution
- Foreign & security policy
- Good governance
- Migration issues
- Business & Islamic finance
- Upper second class degree or higher.
- Proof of professional achievements.
- Working experience (preferably 2 years minimum).
- Fluent English (most UK Higher Education institutions require a minimum IELTS of 6.5 for admission into post-graduate courses).
Applicants with a Lower second class degree but with impressive career achievements may also apply. There are no minimum or maximum age limits for the scholarships, provided the other application criteria are met.
Candidates are also expected to show a commitment to return to Malaysia, where they will contribute to the country’s socio-economic development using the new skills and knowledge acquired during their stay in the UK. On return to Malaysia Scholars will automatically become members of the Chevening Alumni Malaysia, and will benefit from the networking and other opportunities that this offers.
All applications must be made on-line via E-Chevening.
Applications to British institutions of higher education
There is no restriction on which UK university a candidate can apply to. Candidates are advised to secure a confirmed place at a UK university before interview. Those invited to interview will be asked to give strong reasons for their final choice of university and subject of study.
Candidates should undertake some research about UK higher education before applying. Please visit the Education UK website for further information about studying in the UK. Candidates should have already made applications to the institutions of their choice by the time of interview.
Short-listed candidates will be expected to attend an interview in Kuala Lumpur when requested.
Please be advised that only those selected for interview will be contacted. No correspondence will be entered into as to why an applicant has not been short-listed.
The British High Commission and British Council will screen application forms and draw up a shortlist of candidates. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Estimated timeline for applications:
23 January 2012
deadline for completion online application
20 February 2011
shortlisted candidates contacted for interviews
2 March 2012
submission of required documents by shortlisted applicants
12 – 30 March 2012
provisional dates for interviews
23 April 2012
successful candidates notified
Applications should be submitted electronically and no later than 23 January 2012. No applications will be accepted after this date.
For more details, kindly visit British Council.
Malaysia Scholarship Search Terms:
- scholarship 2012 malaysia (795)
- biasiswa master 2012 (398)
- biasiswa sarjana 2012 (232)
- biasiswa master (127)
- scholarship for master (114)
- master degree scholarship (106)
- bursa malaysia scholarship 2012 (72)
- master scholarship (71)
- scholarship for Master in Malaysia (56)
- scholarship for master programme 2012 (54)