MRes studentship in Geography/Biotechnology (FRGS) – University of Nottingham
- School of Geography, Faculty of Science, University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
- School of Biosciences, Faculty of Science, University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
We offer a fully-funded, 12-months MRes studentship at the Schools of Geography and Biosciences, University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus.
The successful applicant will develop a molecular identification key for the freshwater mussels of Peninsular Malaysia, a severely endangered group of molluscs. The student will be co-supervised by Dr. Alexandra Zieritz and Ass. Prof. Christina Vimala Supramaniam, and receive training in aquatic fieldwork and molecular laboratory techniques.
The successful applicant will receive a stipend of RM 1,600 per month and a tuition fee waiver to the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus. The project is funded by the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia.
- Malaysian citizenship (required)
- First class or upper second class degree (with Honours) (CGPA >3.5) in Science, Biotechnology, Environmental Science, Life Sciences or any other related discipline (required)
- Molecular laboratory work experience in DNA/RNA isolations, cDNA synthesis, PCR and qPCR (desired)
- Fieldwork experience (desired)
The successful applicant is expected to take up the studentship in February 2016 and no later than April 2016.
How to apply
Applications, specifying the scholarship being applied for and consisting of
- a Curriculum Vitae,
- academic transcripts, and
- a short (1 page maximum) cover letter describing the motivation to pursue this MRes
should be sent by email to email@example.com no later than 28 December 2015.
Interviews will be held in January 2016. Note: We are currently also offering a fully-funded MRes studentship to assess the effects of freshwater mussels on biodiversity using Next Generation Sequencing